Sections
Home | FaithLeaf | Bible, pillowcase survive house fire untouched

Bible, pillowcase survive house fire untouched



A Germanton family had everything damaged or destroyed in a house fire on Saturday except for two things: a pillowcase and a Bible. Zach and Jennifer Johnson, plus their two boys and their dog, Lily, weren’t injured in the fire, which started around 8:30 a.m. on Fieldcreek Farms Road. “(Zach) came down the stairs and saw flames going up the wall,” Jennifer said. “It’s a blessing we got out.”
A firefighter then gave the family another unexpected blessing, handing them a Bible and a pillowcase that was inscripted with words from Psalms 91:11. Despite being found in a charred bedroom chair, both were untouched by the fire that consumed everything around it. “God most definitely had something to do with it. You look at everything in that house, and we haven’t retrieved anything that didn’t have smoke damage, fire damage or something we’re not trying to repair. This is something we haven’t had to touch,” Zach said.
A family friend, Linda Keeter, gave them what’s called a ‘healing’ pillowcase as a Christmas gift. Linda and the Johnsons attend Christ Episcopal Church in Walnut Cove. “We had the pillowcases blessed, which is a very common practice in the Episcopal Church, and the priest says prayers over them. Since it was a Guardian Angel prayer, I wanted them to have it,” Linda said. She got the pillowcase from a local company called It’s All Yours. Their site is located at itsallyoursinc.com.
It’s unclear what started the fire, but it’s believed to have started in the garage. The Johnsons said they are thankful for all the help from family, friends and the woman at the Salem Chapel Fire Department.

Login or Register to post your Comment (Available for registered users only)

Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

  • email Email to a friend
  • print Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Log in
Tags
No tags for this article