Sections
Home | Frontpage | Mon fire guts nine houses

Mon fire guts nine houses



Kohima, February 7: A delayed report received here today said a major fire broke out at Chingkao Chingnyu, 60 Kms away from Mon district on February 2. The inferno gutted 9 houses, a dormitory (‘morung’) and a resting shed, reports said. The cost of damage, including domestic animals, in the fire was estimated at about 70 lakhs. There was no report of any causality, although unfortunately while trying to douse the fire villagers had to ‘damage’ three houses. The fire is believed to have started from an electrical short-circuit but details are unclear as the fire took place around 10:30 AM after the villagers went to their fields.
Speaking to The Morung Express, General Secretary of the Konyak Students’ Union Manwang Konyak said the Electrical department of Mon offered its vehicle to KSU leaders who visited the site of the fire on February 5. The union offered rice, clothes and buckets to the victims. It is reported that the fire brigade rushed to get through to the burning village but got stuck on the way in between Aboi town and Chingkao Chingnyu village ‘due to poor road condition and later returned back to town without reaching the village.’

Login or Register to post your Comment (Available for registered users only)

Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

  • email Email to a friend
  • print Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Log in
Tags
No tags for this article