Govt denies Pillai’s charges
Nagaland Home Commissioner says Centre has released funds for Police Modernization
Kohima, February 19 (NEPS): Nagaland state government has refuted the comments of former Union Home Secretary GK Pillai that the Centre had withheld Modernization of Police Force (MPF) funds to the State because of the state’s inaction against former Nagaland Director General of Police K Kire and other officials for allegedly drawing Rs 18 crore against fictitious bills.
While in Guwahati recently, the former Union Home Secretary told the Media that Nagaland was given Rs 18 crore by the Centre under the MPF scheme to purchase arms, weapons, vehicles and equipment for six commando companies in 2009-10. He further stated that the former DGP Kire and other officials had submitted fictitious bills of the amount released.
Pillai said the Centre had already asked the Nagaland government to take action against K Kire and other officials for their involvement in the scam, but the state government ignored the Centre’s directive owing to which New Delhi shelved the project in Nagaland recently.
Denying the charges, Nagaland Home Commissioner J Alam, IAS, while talking to NEPS here on Sunday, said Pillai was ‘perhaps not up to date of what was happening on the ground.’ “I feel that the former Union Home Secretary might not have known what was happening on the ground,” he stated, “because the Centre has already released fund under its MPF Scheme for the state of Nagaland for the year 2011-12.”
The charge made by the former Union Home Secretary that New Delhi withheld the funds was not “true,” the Home Commissioner claimed.
It was informed that the Ministry has already approved Rs 29.93 crore (Rupees twenty nine crore and ninety three lakh) under MPF for Nagaland for the year 2011-12. Out of the amount approved, the Ministry has already released Rs 26, 43,38,000 (rupees twenty six crore forty three lakh and thirty eight thousands) to the Government of Nagaland. However, the amount Rs 349.62 lakh has been retained for weaponry items for release by the PM Division of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Besides this, a letter from the ministry dated February 6 mentioned releasing a sum of Rs 3,80,13,600 (rupees three crore eighty lakh thirteen thousands six hundred) to the Government of Nagaland as reimbursement of Security Related Expenditure (SRE) towards deployment of Village Guards in Nagaland.
Reacting to the development, former DGP K Kire, IPS, ‘wondered’ on the statement of Pillai. He claimed that the MPF Scheme was 10-year scheme and ‘it had already been completed.’
“So just before I retired I had submitted the DPR to the MHA for the MPF of state police as the ministry asked us to resubmit it during our DGPs and IGPs meet at Delhi,” he said. In the last CAG report, it was alleged that Rs 18 crore under MPF released for the last MPF scheme for the state of Nagaland was drawn against fictitious bills. The former DGP asserted that the state had already constituted committee which ‘investigated and completed its findings.’
“They had physically verified everything and I myself faced them as and when they wanted me to,” Kire said. “I believe the Centre’s release of fund just recently under its MPF scheme on the basis of the DPR submitted when I was DGP and also just recent release of SRE to Nagaland is a manifestation that they had faith in the inquiry conducted by the HPC,” the former DGP claimed.
- ‘Scope for Britain, India to tackle security challenges’
- China chides India over new border posts
- Government bars first class air travel for officials
- Indian govt against imposing developed nations’ norms on aid by developing nations
- India’s universal healthcare rollout to cost $26 billion
- Black money list: Only 27 out of 627 to be prosecuted, govt to get mere Rs 750 crores
- Violence after Tamil fishermen sentenced to death in Colombo
- Nagaland, India
- ‘Release all pending payments by Nov. 30’
- Sweden recognizes Palestinian state; Israel upset
1 Displaying 1 - 10 of 6903