Taking teachers on election duty violates SC ruling: ANSTA
Dimapur, December 11 (MExN): The All Nagaland School Teachers Association (ANSTA) has stated that taking teachers on election duty violated the Supreme Court ruling. A press note from ANSTA President Ponchulo Wanth and Joint Secretary Visato Koso informed that in its Civil Appeal No.5659 of 2007 Dated the 6th Dec 2007, the Supreme Court gave its clear verdict stating that “although holding of election is of paramount importance, for that purpose education of children cannot be neglected”.
The verdict further stated “Right to Education being a fundamental right is equally important as right to exercise franchise”. Hence, balance between the two must be maintained. Thus, giving restricted meaning to the provisions of the Representation of the People Act 1950 and the Representation of the People Act 1951, the Apex Court in its judgment has directed “All teaching staff must only be put on duties of electoral revisions and Election works on holidays and non-teaching days. They should not ordinarily be put on said duty on teaching days and within teaching hours”.
In view of the standing ruling of Apex Court of the country, the Association hereby reminded the Govt. or for that matter the Election Commission of Nagaland and District Administration that while deputing employees to Election duty, the dignity of the aforesaid verdict should be maintained as acting in contravene to it shall amounts to contempt of Supreme Court’s Judgment and for which the Association may be compelled to drag the authority into the Court on the basis of strength of Apex Court Verdict.
- Conference on communitization held in Peren
- ‘Improve approach, attitude & discipline’
- ANIEF to seek legal recourse to recover “pending cases” of subsidy
- Nagaland News File
- 42nd ASUD General Meeting
- BJP Wokha holds joint workshop on primary membership drive
- RPO Guwahati to organise two day Passport Seva Camp at Kohima in December
- AR apprehends one with arms
- CEO office bids farewell to Administrative Officer
- Balanced ration pivotal for achieving optimum productivity in animals
1 Displaying 1 - 10 of 8097