Garo militants on the prowl
Shillong, February 21 (NNN): A plan to ambush vulnerable vehicle convoys of officials and police patrolling teams by a 12 member group of Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) cadres was foiled by the Special Weapon and Tactics team (SWAT) and CRPF Cobra forces in Bansambagre village near Williamnagar town of East Garo Hills in Meghalaya on Tuesday afternoon.
Acting on specific tip off about the presence of heavily armed GNLA cadres in the village, the SWAT and COBRA teams from Williamnagar cordoned off the village and before they could reach an isolate the house where the militants were camping, they were greeted with a volley of fire. Superintendent of police, East Garo Hills J F K Marak confirmed the incident, saying that there were heavy exchange of fire between the police and the militants.
- Stigma hinders efforts to combat leprosy
- Antony not to contest Lok Sabha polls: Congress
- Pankaj Mishra wins $150,000 Yale literary prize
- UIAI Chairman Nandan Nilekani joins Congress
- India set to challenge US for election-spending record
- ‘Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers checked’
- North Koreans cast votes, but govt decides for whom
- Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea
- Assange talks NSA, hints at more leaks
- ‘Delay in talks due to lack of wisdom, guts’
1 Displaying 1 - 10 of 8802