‘Govt neglected 150MW project for 3 decades’

Tizu-Zingki Hydro power potential untapped; landowners ready to invite foreign power corp

Dimapur, June 11 (MExN): The Nagaland government has already surveyed the 150 Megawatt Tizu-Zingki Basin Hydro Electric Project and prepared the feasibility report since 32 years now but the project has yet to be. Landowners are no more willing to tolerate the casualness of the government and in response they are ready to invite foreign corporations to activate the project on the model of the Spanish Hydro Electric Project, a letter received here said today.

According to Citizen T.S James Sor of Tethuyo village in Kiphire the department of power started the survey of Tizu-Zingki Basin Hydro Electric Project (150 MW) in 1980. It has now completed 32 years. The department of power has completed the survey and prepared the pre-feasibility report in the year 1998, the letter said.

As per the department of power and Central Electrical Authority Report (CEA), the Tizu-Zingki Basin Hydro Electric Project is one of the best-potential hydro electric projects in Nagaland. 

“The land owners have submitted two memorandums, first memorandum had been submitted to the government of Nagaland and department of power on 10th May 2003 and second memorandum had been submitted to the NEEPCO chief consultant, Shri. N. Visuanathan, MOTT, Macdonald, A-20, sector-2, Noida-201302 on 19th March 2004 and the land owners pressured for the preparation of the Tizu & Zingki Basin Hydro Electric Project (DPR) details project report.”

But so far no action has been taken by the government of Nagaland and the department of Power, Sor stated.

The letter has appealed on behalf of the landowners that the department of power and the government of Nagaland forward the matter to the Central Electrical Authority to the government of India for preparation of the Detail Project Report of the Tizu-Zingki project.

‘The department of power and government of Nagaland neglected the viable hydro electric project like Tizu and Zingki project,’ the letter said. Sor demanded to know the reasons for neglecting the viable and potential hydro electric project. The letter has demanded clarifications concerning those responsible for the shortage of power in Nagaland; why the department of power took up small hydro electric projects in and whether the people get sufficient power from them; why the department is not willing to up the “viable big hydro electric projects in Nagaland”; why the department “does not like to hand over to the private foreign corporation company for the construction of big hydro electric projects in Nagaland.” 

“If the department of power fro delaying the preparation of the Tizu and Zingki Basin Hydro Electric Project 150 MW details project report (DPR), the land owners may be compelled to invite the private foreign corporation company for taking up the project like ‘Spanish Hydro Electric Project Model,’” Sor added.

 



Support The Morung Express.
Your Contributions Matter
Click Here