Prayer centre accused of sexual abuse

Dimapur, June 13 (MExN): Shameful acts of sexual abuse and perversion in the name of religion in Nagaland have been observed following a 3-days case study by some members of a youth and students’ group on social networking site, Facebook. 

The members of the group, The Naga Blog, who probed into the issue, were Kevi Viswentso Angami, A Imna Longkumer, Kevin Naga, T Senti Aier, Vinonto A Sumi, Kilangla Ajem, Aseto Tepa, Amen Jamir and Vikeduo Linyü. 

Some of the victims of sexual abuse bravely, but hesitantly, shared their pain and shame with the TNB members, the group said in a Media handout today. 

According to the group, sexual assaults allegedly have been going on at a centre called Zion Prayer Center, located at Aoyimti village in Dimapur, the Naga Blog members informed. A person accused of sexual assault have been identified by his victims as one Thsipise S Sangtam of Tsadang village, from Tuensang. The prayer center has been running for more than 4 years under the patronage of a yet-unverified organization.

It has been learned that a ‘healer and preacher’ calling himself a “Man of God” has been sexually abusing and molesting members of the prayer center, visitors and possibly others over an indefinite period of time. 

The Facebook group said to have spoken to some of the alleged victims, 8 of them as of now. Due to stigma attached with sexual abuse, they wished to stay anonymous for now, the youths said.  “Their story is that the preacher most often asked them to masturbate or fondle their genital areas as well as many other such acts of disgusting sexual acts. They were also asked to do many other lewd forms of abuse, some of which may or might never be shared with us. 

But one thing is clear and that is, as we investigate deeper into this shocking story of a sick man abusing the faithful and believers coming into contact with him in their search for God. We will yet once again cringe in shame as Christians!” the Naga Blog stated. 

The alleged incidents occurred under the jurisdiction of Aoyimti village but till date the council’s members and village’s community are unaware of it, the youth group stated. “As in many other similar cases of sexual abuse that go unreported by victims. The only action believed to have been taken so far is that Tsadang Suro Union Dimapur has shut down the center and levied a penalty of Rs.25,000 (Twenty five thousand) and a rustication from Dimapur for 3 years.”

The perpetrator is said to be a family man in his mid-40s. The Naga Blog added: “The victims are sharing that all that time he was claiming that his sexually sickening demands were being done with a direction from above! Can we let such a monster roam freely? Can we assume that he will not abuse again? Is it a crime lesser than rape? And will any person in his right mind believe that our God will ever ask such acts to be carried out?”
 



Support The Morung Express.
Your Contributions Matter
Click Here