Support grows for early pol settlement

DIMAPUR, APRIL 25 (MExN): In a significant decision, the Naga Hoho has called upon the Joint leadership of NSCN (IM) and Government of India to “expedite the political talks and sign the Agreement before the end of 2012 keeping in mind fifteen years long negotiation should be enough to bring agreeable solution, or else, a time will come when India shall regret for not striking the iron on time”. This was stated in a press note from the Naga Hoho issued by Inaka Assumi, Vice President, HK Zhimomi, Speaker and P. Chuba Ozukum, General Secretary.

While the talk of an early political settlement has always been mentioned in different forums, it is only now that there appears to more clarity on such a possibility. Earlier in March this year, while addressing the Naga Republic Day celebration at Camp Hebron, the NSCN (I-M) chairman, Isak Chishi Swu, had expressed cautious optimism that solution to the protracted Naga problem “is not far off.” 

Swu had said negotiations between the NSCN (I-M) and Government of India has now entered 15 years and that both parties are determined to work out an acceptable solution based on the unique history and situation of the Nagas and an interdependent relationship. 

During the same programme, NSCN (I-M) General Secretary and the group’s chief negotiator in the Naga peace talks, Th. Muivah, had also said that the time has again come for Nagas to take the “right decision” as done by the founding fathers of the Naga National Council (NNC) in the past.  “Now India cannot back track…When India is prepared for solution, it is now time again for Nagas to take the right decision,” Muivah had said. 

Also former Union Home Secretary G.K Pillai has also pointed to such a scenario more than once. In one of his comment, Pillai was hopeful that by the end of 2012 “the contour of a settlement would emerge”. Similarly closer home, the Political Affairs Committee of the NPF-DAN government has also come out with a statement pointing out on the need to expedite the talks and arrive at a settlement before the next Assembly elections in 2013. The Opposition Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee has also taken a stand for early settlement.  

Meanwhile the Naga Hoho has also expressed its heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to the leadership of NSCN (IM) and GOI for bringing to an end the stalemate over the violation of cease fire ground rules by Assam Rifles on 19th April, 2012, vis-à-vis the handing over of ceased arms by both the parties by respecting each other towards upholding peace in the entire Naga areas.

It pointed out that this had the wish and aspiration of Naga Hoho which was conveyed to the Chairman of CFMG Maj.Gen. Rtd. Mr George and NSCN (IM) authority when the Naga Hoho Executives met them on April 21, 2012 in their respective camps. “We salute their maturity towards handling the alarming situation at the cost of larger political issues and problems. Hereinafter, the Naga Hoho fervently appeals to all the concerned authorities to respect and maintain the cease fire ground rules in totality”. 



Support The Morung Express.
Your Contributions Matter
Click Here