NSCN (I-M) wants AR to release previously seized arms
DIMAPUR, APRIL 21 (MExN): Overall situation in and around NSCN (I-M) designated camp Hebron continued to be tense for the third day Saturday with intense frisking by the 29 Assam Rifles even as Naga civil societies separately met CFMG chairman and NSCN leaders to defuse the situation. However, no concrete conclusion could be arrived at the end of both the meetings.
Naga Hoho office bearers who met the CFMG chairman Maj Gen (retd) N. George on Saturday morning said the CMFG gave assurance to release arms belonging to ID card holders of the NSCN (I-M). Naga Hoho quoted George’s statement that tension would be eased as and when AR weapons were released. But the NSCN (I-M) leaders wanted the Assam Rifles to first release more than 200 of their arms seized in the name of ceasefire. A certain ‘kilonser’ said the AR has never fulfilled their earlier assurances to release NSCN’s seized arms.
Another ‘kilonser’ alleged that the latest and various earlier situations were being created due to the central home ministry being ‘wrongly fed’ by Union Joint Secretary, Shambu Singh IAS incharge of Northeast. He said Hebron has inputs that Shambu has direct contact with the AR adding, “For Shambu Singh ceasefire or Naga issue is not important but his goal to be the Chief Secretary of Manipur is important.”
Naga Students’ Federation said it would not tolerate such behaviour of the AR, who admitted to having violated the CFGR, in harassing the innocent public. NSF said it would take up the issue in a serious manner and hold public consultation before coming out with a decision.
With no concrete conclusion, the meeting between the NSCN (I-M), Naga Hoho, NSF, NPMHR, Naga Council, Naga Women Hoho Dimapur etc decided to separately work out and bring their own proposals to defuse the tense situation. The next meeting has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday.
Women reach streets
Reacting to reports that the AR was not allowing even the villagers to transport rations from the market and restricting carrying of cash beyond Rs 5000, women from Kamdi village under Peren district marched to one of the AR check points at Hazidasa around 1:30 pm. By this time, Dimapur district administration officials led by DC Hushili also reached the spot. Kamdi Women Society appealed to the district administration to take up the case with the competent authority to remove the check points as it was creating fear psychosis and tension in the area. They said schools were also closed because of the unease situation.
The 29 AR have been camping at different points along the route to Hebron camp since the last two days frisking vehicles going towards the camp as well as that come from the direction of the camp.